Eshaness Lighthouse History
Eshaness Lighthouse was built in 1929 and designed by David and Charles Stevenson, of the famous Stevenson family of lighthouse engineers.
The lighthouse was originally built to replace a temporary structure which was intended to give a warning to ships to avoid running aground on the Ve Skerries - a group of islands around 8 miles from the shore.
The light flashes white every 12 seconds, and has a visibility of up to 25 nautical miles. The location of the lighthouse is perfect, being 61 metres above the sea with no obstructions in any direction.
The light was fully automated in 1974 and the lighthouse keeper's cottage was sold into private ownership. The Northern Lighthouse Board retained control and maintenance responsibilities for the actual light. Shetland Amenity Trust purchased the keeper's cottage in 2005 for use as Shetland Lighthouse Holiday accommodation.
American author Sharma Krauskopf bought the property in 1999 and spent her time enjoying the remoteness. She wrote a book about her time living in Eshaness entitled 'The Last Lighthouse' and evidence of her affection for the property remains clear with examples of her work on show in the cottage.